Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sticks and stones ....

For those of you who may be thinking of creative ways to use this blog as a lever against the United Rugby Club, please read on.

I have no affiliation with the United Rugby Club other than Colin Puriri the coach, is my brother. I do not speak for or on behalf of the United Rugby Club.

These are my opinions.

My brother and I have had strong disagreements about issues. He is his own man and I love him as a brother unconditionally. Always have and always will. And by the way is a pretty damn good coach.

The last time I looked out the window there is an American flag in one of my neighbor's yards. The United States of America, home of the free,the brave and protector of liberty and the right of free speech. I love this country and feel privileged to live here.

I also love the principles of truth and integrity based on the show me principle.

This blog places my opinions with supporting documentation on the table.

Opinions only become valid or truthful when they are substantiated with the cold hard facts. Otherwise they are just hot air, good for balloons and blowing smoke.

Read the .pdf files, correct me and show me if I am wrong and make your own judgments.

And yes I am a legal immigrant.

CALL ME AND I WILL SHOW YOU!!

Sticks and stones .............

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a question. How many of the New Zealand players went on to serve as missionaries? Could it be the picture is of actual return missionaries? Or representative of players who went on to serve? I don't think only Mormons came here from New Zealand. And if they are representative of the normal population few if any would be Mormon.

But, if a number of the New Zealanders went on to serve missions then it IS wrong to not have them represented.

As to the movie, I agree from reading what you have shared here that they left out a very important element. The only thing that comes to mind is that they did not want to add more story lines. As far as movie making goes, I think it would de-focus the movie and water down what the movie has to say and inspire.

BUT.... There definitely ought to be a documentary or second movie or something exploring and highlighting the New Zealand connection. It would have made a great addition to the DVD at the very least or even a second DVD highlighting this great contribution.

Ra Puriri said...

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

Many of the young men who played for Highland from New Zealand have served LDS missions.

The sad irony here is that a missionary goes out to teach people about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Integrity, charity, gratitude etc.

Yet they were shown no gratitude, appreciation or any recognition in the movie, not one word or mention.

They are the cornerstone of the story.

I respectfully submit that without the annual contribution of the boys from New Zealand, South Africa, Australia and the Islands there would only be 150 wins and not 309. Thus there would be no inspiring story and no movie.

Mustang said...

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. The movie is not an LDS movie, nor is it intended to be so, so the missionary point is moot. The young man that the story centered around played with a team that had 0 non-citizens (yes, Highland has had years without NC's) and still won the title - in Minneapolis that year. I know because he was a teammate of mine. We had two NZ boys the year before but none that year in Minneapolis, when "Rick" (not his real name) was a captain of the team. So, if that is the story that they wanted to focus on, they would not necessarily have to include foreign players to drive that particular plot.

Ra Puriri said...

No apology needed.

Thanks for the comment. Good points